Camera quality has never really been the punch line for Google’s Nexus series of Android flagships, and the new Nexus 4 does not fall far from the tree either. As the first Nexus phone to hold an 8MP camera, it has caused quite a few users to notice and complain about unwanted level of noise present in videos recorded at HD resolutions. However, a Nexus is the epitome of relentless Android customizations and XDA Recognized Developer enyceckk has just come up with a way to improve the Video quality by increasing the video bitrate from 12Mb/s to 20Mb/s. Based on the developer’s claims and user feedback, the mod does improve video recording quality on the device.
The most started off as a method involving manually editing the media_profiles.xml file, but a recovery flashable zip file has now been made available to make the whole process easier to follow and pretty much fool proof for all of us.
Images courtesy of the developer
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Nexus 4 with a custom recovery installed. See: Nexus 4 Toolkit with easy root & recovery installation.
- Fownload the mod for increasing bitrate and copy it to the root of the phone’s (internal) SD card.
- Boot the device into recovery mode and as with all such mods, make a backup from ‘backup and restore’ for just in case.
- Wipe ‘cache’ and then wipe ‘dalvik cache’ from the ‘Advanced’ menu.
- Navigate to ‘install zip from sdcard’ > ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and select the mod to flash.
- Once the mod is flashed, simply reboot your device.
That is it, go record a few videos and check out the difference, which might not be that major but should be noticeable nonetheless. If you’re experiencing force closes or generally not getting the desired results and would rather revert back to the original settings, simply flash the ‘stock video bitrate’ mod via recovery, or restore your backup.
If you are a trigger-happy person (camera-trigger, that is), you will enjoy our compilation of the top 10 photo editing, styling and sharing apps for Android.
The developer will also be working on modifying more than just the video bitrate in the future updates of the mod, so head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers linked below where you can follow all updates and future developments.