The wait is finally over, and it’s about time you stop seeing that red sign in the Cydia store, warning you against updating to iOS 5.1. The Greenpois0n team has just released the much-anticipated untethered jailbreak for all devices running iOS 5.1 or later, and that includes A5 devices as well! No matter if you have an iPod touch, the 3rd generation iPad, or the latest iPhone, Absinthe 2.0 has got you covered. The tool is truly the most convenient method of jailbreaking that has ever been released. You just have to run a program on your PC, Mac or Linux, and that’s all! Head past the break for further details.
Disclaimer: Please attempt this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be responsible if your device gets bricked or damaged in any other way due to this method.
Before we proceed, here is a list of all the devices supported by Absinthe 2.0.
- iPad (3rd Generation)
- iPad 2
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4 (GSM/ CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod touch (4th Generation)
- iPod touch (3rd Generation)
If your device is among the ones listed above, read the instructions below to get Cydia up and running on your iDevice.
- Absinthe 2.0 will only work for device that are already on iOS 5.1.1. So, first of all, update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS.
- Once you have done that, create a backup of the device via iTunes if you don’t want to lose all your apps and data.
- Now, go to the stock Settings app and restore your phone to factory settings by hitting the Erase all Content and Settings button under the Restore menu in the General section. Remember, this is not a compulsory step, but might help you in avoiding some complications.
- Download Absinthe 2.0 from this link. The files for all operating systems are provided in the downloads section.
- After doing all that, connect your iDevice to your computer via the USB cable, and run Absinthe 2.0.
- Absinthe will automatically detect your device, if it is on iOS 5.1 and the hardware is compatible. As soon as the device is successfully detected, hit the Jailbreak button (which happens to be the only button in the desktop application’s interface).
- Don’t disconnect your device, and wait for Absinthe 2.0 to work its magic.
When the application tells you that the procedure has been completed successfully, you are free to disconnect your iDevice from the computer. You don’t have to do anything else, just launch the Cydia store on your device (it will be there in on your device by now). When you launch it for the first time, Cydia will prepare the filesystem and that’s it. You now have a jailbroken iDevice running iOS 5.1.1!
If you happen to own the new (A5X) iPad running iOS 5.1.1 and plan to jailbreak it, head on over to this guide of ours, and we’ll walk you through the process.
Update: If you already have tethered jailbreak on your iPhone 4 or iPod touch running iOS 5.1.1, click here for a shorter, quicker method (Rocky Racoon) to get untethered jailbreak.