Just a few days back, CyanogenMod team announced that they will soon begin pushing out the CM7.1 Nightly builds based on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread for the Samsung Galaxy S II. They have lived up to their word, as the Nightlies have begun showing up on CyanogenMod for download. This is great news for owners of the Galaxy S II since these builds would hopefully and eventually lead to a proper final build for the device, something that the device truly deserves. If you are familiar with CyanogenMod ROMs, you would understand, that Nightly builds are highly experimental and highly suspicable to instability on the device. However, this is not a certain thing and depending on how you handle your device, you may not have much of an issue using it for phone calls or texting etc. If you do, well, it IS a Nightly after all.
Want to give it a go? Let us guide you through the installation process.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Galaxy S II. See our guide on how to root the Galaxy S II.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. Install via ROM Manager from the Market.
- CM7 Nightly Build
- Google Apps
- To begin, download the ROM and Google Apps from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Once done, reboot into recovery by pressing the Volume down, Home and Power buttons together, letting go of the power button when the boot screen appears.
- Make a nandroid backup by navigating to backup/restore > backup.
- Navigate to wipe factory/data reset and select it.
- Do the same for wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Select install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Repeat Step 6 and choose the Google Apps this time.
- Once the ROM and Google Apps are flashed, simply reboot the device.
All done! Your device should now boot into the new CM& Nightly ROM.