Many iPod Touch 2G users have already updated their phone firmware to the all new iOS 4. But still there are some users who want to revert back to earlier versions like 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.
Here is the step by step guide on how to downgrade your iPod Touch 2G from IOS 4 to 3.1.2/ 3.1.3
- This is an easier downgrade process but will only come into play if you have already saved your jailbroken iPod Touch SHSH files on Cydia servers. This method requires you to have a Windows OS. You will also need to have a custom 3.1.2/3.1.3 IPSW file saved on your computer before going to step 2.
- Launch Notepad on Windows with administrator privileges.
- On Notepad Go to File > Open> C Drive [Or the drive with windows folder] > Windows > System32> Drivers > etc > hosts. Normally hosts is a 1 KB file without any extension so just double click to open it.
- Once the host file is open, you see some commands starting with #. Please do not change anything in this file and simply add the following command at the bottom : “22.214.171.124 gs.apple.com”
- Now save the file and close notepad.
- Now connect your iPod Touch 2G to the computer and after it syncs with iTunes, power it off.
- Now press the power button on top and home button simultaneously for exactly 10 seconds.
- After this leave the power button while still holding onto the home button until you see a USB device recognition bubble on your PC.
- Now after a few moments, your iPod Touch 2G will be detected by iTunes.
- After this you will be prompted by iTunes for iPod Touch 2G restore. Click Ok, hold shift key on your keyboard and click restore at the same time.
- Now navigate to the 3.1.2/3.1.3 IPSW file located on your computer.
- After this let the restore process finish. You might encounter 1011 and 1015 error prompts but simply ignore then as they are a signal that your iPod Touch 2G is successfully restored to the earlier OS.
- Now exit recovery mode and reboot your iPod Touch 2G. And that’s it! You have successfully downgraded your iPod Touch 2G to earlier OS version. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Please make sure that you have ample hands-on experience before trying your hands on this one. AddictiveTips won’t be liable for any damages that may incur to your device during the process