Finally there is some great news for Motorola Backflip owners waiting for the official Android 2.1 Eclair firmware update. Motorola has actually started throwing out copies to some lucky users to test this new update and as it always happened, some one just made the file public. This means that you won’t have to wait for an OTA to upgrade your Motorola Backflip and you can do it right now if you are near your PC.
Here is what Motorola says regarding this update in release notes:
Software Upgrade for Motorola BACKFLIP™ (3.0.1390)
This is a software upgrade for AT&T-Motorola BACKFLIP users who are currently using Android™ 1.5 (Cupcake) software versions. The 3.0.1390 upgrade for Motorola BACKFLIP provides new features from Android 2.1 (Eclair) and the latest version of MOTOBLUR™.
Who Can Use This Release:
All Motorola/AT&T BACKFLIP users.
Highlights of the Upgrade
- More Google™ apps – Google Speech-to-Text™, Google Turn-by-Turn Navigation™, Google Voice Search™ and others have been added to make your BACKFLIP device even more functional
- Android Market™ – Access to a larger range of apps, specifically designed for devices using Android 2.0 or later
- More home screen panels –7 customizable home screen panels so you have more room for your shortcuts and widgets
- New and enhanced widgets – Customizable filters, ability to resize widgets, plus new widgets like Contact Quick Tasks and Sticky Note
- Corporate email access – Corporate email can now be pushed immediately to your phone
- Improved Media Gallery – Media Gallery has been enhanced for better interaction with your media
And here is how you can upgrade your Backflip to Android 2.1 Eclair right now:
- The first step is to plug in the charger cable and fully charge your phone.
- Now download the update file for Motorola Backflip from here and save it on your desktop. Do not change the name of this file.
- Once done, connect your phone to the computer, mount SD card and copy the downloaded zip file to SD card root.
- Now press the menu key on your phone and go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates.
- Wait for the phone to detect the update on SD card and follow simple onscreen instructions to get updated to Android 2.1.
- After the update is complete, reboot your phone and this time your handset will be running Android 2.1 Eclair.
There are no specific warnings for users who already have root on their handsets, but we will advise you to wait for a rooted version of this update to emerge.