View in galleryMotorola Xoom, Google’s flagship Honeycomb tablet has just received a mod courtesy of XDA-Developers forum member, sangreal06 that has suddenly taken the device to a new level of awesomeness. Your Xoom can now let you view the desktop version of websites, without needing to redo the “about:debug” trick over and over again. That’s not it, we have SMS and the Gingerbread CRT lock animation as well. For more on this mod and how to get it on your Xoom, read on!
Now the mod is basically an updated framework-res.apk by the developer that allows you to have all the three features in one go. But before you get all excited, this mod, so far is only applicable on the 3G model of the Xoom according to the developer.
- The CRT lock animation would only function in portrait mode.
- The SMS ability requires some SMS app, like Handcent SMS for example. However, this service wont be free and fee charges will apply. According to the developer, there is a workaround for that as well if you link your Xoom’s number with Google Voice.
- Calls can be made via Google Voice but the mic and the speaker do not work for now. However this is being worked on.
- An SIP client is also added for those using this service. Note that the mic and speaker are functional if using an SIP phone.
Now that you understand what this mod has to offer, we don’t see a reason why owners of the Motorola Xoom should not enable these awesome features on their device. So let’s get our hands dirty! No worries the procedure is a simple one, in fact too simple.
Please note that your accounts and wallpapers may disappear after this Mod.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- ADB installed. See our guide on how to install and use ADB.
- Rooted Motorola Xoom. See our guide on how to root the Motorola Xoom.
- Webiste Fix only | All Fixes.
- To begin take a backup of your framework-res.apk residing in /system/framework via Root Explorer.
- Now download the Fix of your choice, from the above link above and rename to framework-res.apk.
- Now run terminal or command prompt and enter the following commands:
adb remount adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework reboot
- If your asked to replace the file, just say Yes and your phone will reboot immediately.
That’s it! all done, your Xoom is all set to work with the new mods added to it. For any updates and queries you may have, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.