Dell Venue Pro is a nice addition to the set of devices running Windows Phone 7. As Dell smartphones are a relatively rare occurrence, therefore there aren’t as many tips and hacks available for it as are for some of the other devices. To enable tethering on a device is one of the first hacks a person looks for when switching to a new device. This useful feature lets you share internet over a small area network and this makes it quite important for any user. The good news for Venue Pro users is that they can now enable tethering on their device. You want know how? Read on.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Go to the given link and download the HTC Sync suitable for your PC and device. The tool will say “for Android” but just ignore this as this is the file you need despite the label (the hardware of Dell’s Android phones and WP7 devices is pretty similar, and hence HTC’s drivers should work just fine).
- Unzip the file you just downloaded.
- From the recently unzipped contents, select and open HtcUsbMdmV64.inf and modify device ID to VID_05c6&PID_3199.
- Repeat the previous step with the file named HtcVComV64.inf.
- Enter diagnostics mode by inputting ##634# on the dialer screen.
- Navigate to Service Centre and select “Composite mode” by inputting *#301# as password.
- Restart your phone.
- Go to Device Manager and choose USB\VID_05C6&PID_3199&REV_0000&MI_00.
- Select to update drivers and when asked for the path point to the files modified in step 3 and 4.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB.
- Go to Device Manager>Extra Initialization Command>Advanced.
- This will open a new field, add the following snippet of code there
From the already opened modem create a new connection using *99# as the phone number.
Thus you will have tethering enabled on your phone. A lengthy and somewhat complicated procedure admittedly, but the end justify the means.
For further discussions and development updates you can head to the official XDA forum thread.
Update: Microsoft has announced that all Mango phones will soon get the Tango update, and internet tethering will be one of the features that will be coming to WP7 with this update. Until then, however, you might still want to give this hack a try if you just can’t wait to use your Dell Venue Pro as a Wi-Fi hotspot.