View in galleryThe Motorola Atrix 4G set the trend for what is now known as Motorola’s Webtop technology, allowing you to turn your device into a mini laptop in a few seconds by placing it into a dock. The Atrix 4G was the first to do it, the Motorola Photon 4G is the second. However, like the Atrix 4G, the Photon 4G requires an official dock to enable the Webtop functionality. Luckily, XDA-Developers forum member _unknown who brought us the hack to enable Webtop via HDMI on the Atrix 4G, has managed to do the same for the Photon, thereby removing the need for those pricey official docks that Motorola wants you to buy.
The hack is meant for Photon’s running Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread strictly. Here’s how you can get this done on your Photon.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Motorola Photon 4G. See our guide on rooting the Photon 4G.
- ADB installed on your system. See our guide on what is ADB and how to install it.
- To begin, download the .zip file from the link above and extract the contents to a folder.
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled. (Settings > Application > Development).
- Open command prompt or terminal and navigate to the folder where you extracted the zip file.
- Enter the following commands:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
mv /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak
mv /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak
mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak
mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak
rm /data/dalvik-cache/*DockService* /data/dalvik-cache/*PortalApp*
cp /sdcard/DockService.apk ./
cp /sdcard/PortalApp.apk ./
chown 0:0 ./DockService.apk
chown 0:0 ./PortalApp.apk
chmod 644 ./DockService.apk
chmod 644 ./PortalApp.apk
That’s it, once the device reboots, you should be able to enable Webtop over HDMI without needing the pricey docks. For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.