The reliable computer and network security solutions provided by ESET are highly regarded among domestic and professional computer users all across the globe. When the company launched the public beta of ESET Mobile Security for the Android platform in June last year (2011), Android users were introduced to arguably one of the most comprehensive protection tools for their devices. This multi-lingual app encompasses several sought-after security features to secure your device and all the underlying data from any sort of unauthorized access. The app’s feature set includes real-time device protection from viruses and malware through on-demand (user-requested) and on-access (event-triggered) scanning, specifying blacklists for all incoming calls, SMS, and/or MMS from specific users, integrated security audit to identify the most vulnerable aspects of your Android device, multiple anti-theft tools (SIM matching, specifying a trusted SIM card via its IMSI number), and a built-in task manager. The app just recently shed its beta tag and is now available as a 30-day free trial, after which it requires you to purchase a 1-year license to continue availing all the security features.
Note: After the initial 30-day free trial, ESET Mobile Security requires you to purchase a $9.99 license that remains valid for a year. We’re giving away five one-year licenses for the app to 5 lucky readers, details for which can be found at the end of this post.
Apart from shedding its beta tag, ESET Mobile Security now also brings support for devices running Android v3.0 (Honeycomb) and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or above. As mentioned earlier, the 30-day trial offer can be availed by any Android user who wishes to join the program by providing a valid email address. Should you opt to upgrade to the full version of the app, you can navigate to the Activation option within the app, provide your email ID, and purchase the license from the Google Play Store. The license remains valid for 1 year, thereby granting you access to the app’s full features during said period.
To go through the entire list of security tools supported by ESET Mobile Security, you can go through our comprehensive review of the app which we did in last June while the app was in beta. Nothing’s changed much since then. That said, we can still recall the app’s entire list of the features that you will get from under the various tabs present on the app’s main interface:
- Antivirus: One-tap full system scan for potential malware. Scan individual folders, include/exclude SD card, apps or compressed archives from the scanning process, and define the default action upon threat detection.
- Antispam: Block all calls from anonymous numbers, select individual contacts whose incoming calls, SMS and MMS you want the app to block automatically. Block outgoing calls to specific numbers. You can also set separate provisions for incoming/outgoing activities for all the known as well as unknown contacts.
- Anti-Theft: Define trusted SIM cards by their respective IMSI numbers, view SMS commands that can be used to wipe, lock and retrieve the password that you’ve used to secure the app. From under the same tab, you can specify your Trusted Friends’ numbers that can be used to send a text message containing the reset password for the app.
- Security Audit: Analyze various aspects of your Android device – GPS, battery, cellular network, Memory card et al – that can affect the device’s performance drastically. The integrated Task Manager lets you monitor and control all the various processes, services and tasks running on your device.
- Update: Update the app’s security database manually, or specify the time to auto-update said database.
- Password: Secure the app using a custom password and bring various supported features under the security umbrella as well. The app asks you to provide the password before uninstallation.
- Activation: Purchase a one-year license for the app.
- Language: Select a different default language for the app.
- Help: Get help regarding various features of the app.
- Uninstall: Remove ESET Mobile Security from the device from within the app itself.
ESET Mobile Security can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store via the download link or QR code provided below.
Giveaway: We’re giving away five 1-year licenses for this app. The giveaway will last for 48 hours. Participation is simple. Follow @addtips on Twitter, tweet/retweet the giveaway and in the comments below, provide a link to your tweet. Alternatively, you may comment on our Facebook or Google+ page, where the comment should preferably be under the shared post and not on the page itself. Our editors will pick the five winners randomly. Good luck!
Update: The giveaway has been closed. Winners will be contacted shortly.
Update 2: Licenses have been sent to the winners. If you entered for the giveaway, please check your Twitter Direct Messages, Facebook Messages or Google+ feed.