Media Access Control address, or MAC address as it is more commonly known as, is a way of authenticating if a device really belongs to a specific network or not. It also lets the network devices communicate with each other properly. It is your MAC address that tells your service provider if you are using a mobile device or a desktop and what sort of a device are you on. If you are a relatively advanced user then this can be pretty important for you. Unlike the previous versions of Windows for mobile phones, Windows Phone 7 lets you view your MAC address quite easily.
The method is device-dependent and employs the use of Diagnostics menu. It might come in handy if you want your phone to be added to a public network that distinguishes devices on the basis of their hardware ID.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- View in galleryDial ##634# from your phone to open diagnostic menu.
- If you own a Samsung phone, simply input *#1234# in the recently opened Diagnostics screen. This will give you a list in which you can scroll down to simply view the MAC address of your phone. Not only this list provides you with the Wi-Fi MAC address, it also gives you Bluetooth MAC, a piece of information which might come in handy if you want to tinker with the Bluetooth in your phone.
- However the method is not as simple for phones other than Samsung. For other manufacturers, after step 1, input 277634#*#. Entering this value opens a list.
- In the list that has just been opened navigate to Engineer menu.
- Turn by turn select “Device Test” and “WiFi Test”.
- To view your MAC address now, simply tap on the option named Net.Info.
This method has been tested successfully for Samsung and LG phones, but that does not mean it will not work on Windows Phone devices from other manufacturers. You might have noticed that this procedure for finding out the MAC address of your Mango phone makes use of the diagnostic menu. The diagnostic menu in WP7 is one of the most powerful tweaking features available in devices. Unfortunately, not many people know about it, but it is possible to perform many other cool tasks using this almost-hidden menu. You can learn some awesome diagnostics menu tricks in our guide on the subject.