If you have just rooted your Samsung Vibrant and are looking for an AOSP –Android Open Source Project Rom without extensive theming, then Vibrant AOSPish JK2 v1.0 is the one you can settle down with. This custom ROM is based on the official JK2 Vibrant Froyo leak and comes packaged with tons of adorable features, hacks as well as pre-installed useful apps. The best thing about this ROM is that all Samsung Vibrant’s carrier bloatware (branded apps) have been removed to give the user with ultimate on-device experience. The ROM also comes packaged with G2 Launcher2 with the dialer button working without any issues. One reason that we prefer going for AOSP ROMs instead of extensively themed ones is perhaps excellent battery timing of AOSP ROMs.
Here is a list of features that are encompassed in this ROM for Samsung Vibrant:
playlogos included, works with RyanZA’s OCLF
Reboot in Power Menu
Swype G2 themed
Samsung Keypad 2.2
Stock Android Keyboard (bugged, forgot /system/lib/libjni_latinime.so file, will fix in next release)
Follow these instructions to flash AOSP Android 2.2 Froyo ROM on your Samsung Vibrant:
- The first step is to make sure that you have attained root on your Samsung Vibrant. You can follow the guide posted here for this purpose.
- Once you have root, download ROM Manager from the Market.
- Once you have the ROM Manager downloaded, install ClockworkMod Recovery. You can follow this guide for installation.
- After you have installed ClockWorkMod Recovery, Download Vibrant AOSPish JK2 1.0 and save it on your desktop.
- Now connect your phone to the computer and copy the downloaded ROM Zip file to SD Card root.
- Once done, restart your phone in recovery through ROM Manager. Launch ROM Manager, and tap Reboot Into Recovery.
- Although it’s not necessary, but it is advised to make a backup of your current settings using the option in recovery. The ROM chef also recommends Wipe but also states that for him, Wipe wasn’t necessary.
- Once you are in recovery mode, scroll down to the option that says “Install Zip From SD Card”. Tap on this and install the ZIP file you copied earlier to SD Card root.
- Wait for the installation to complete. And reboot your phone in normal mode once the installation is finished.
There you go! You now have Android 2.2 Froyo AOSP Rom on your Samsung Vibrant.
Disclaimer: Please attempt this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be responsible in case your device bricks or any other damage occurs due to this method