The HTC Droid Incredible 2 has finally been permanently rooted with S-Off, thanks to team AlphaRev and their AplhRevX tool which now supports the Droid Incredible 2. We earlier covered a guide on how to gain S-Off on a few HTC Android phones via AlphRevX, and the tools success was soon followed by the inclusion of the Droid Incredible 2, thereby gaining S-Off on the potent device in no time.
We don’t have an Incredible 2 test unit, but as AlpharevX is also intended for HTC Desire, Desire CDMA, Wildfire and Aria, we were able to test it on our HTC Desire. We believe that the same set of instructions will apply on every compatible device. As proof, you can see a picture of an Incredible 2’s bootloader showing S-Off. (Image courtesy of XDA-Developers.)
Here is the step by step guide to achieve S-Off on your HTC Incredible 2 using AlphaRevX:
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to make sure that you have ADB installed on your PC. You can refer to our guide on what is ADB and how you can install it on your PC for a complete set of instructions on setting it up.
- Now download and setup HTC Sync software on your computer and sync your phone. This will download the required device drivers for your phone.
- Once the drivers are installed, keep the drivers and uninstall HTC Sync from your PC. Make sure you delete the HTC Sync application and not the drivers (critical).
- Now download AlphaRevX, unzip the archive and save the files on your desktop for ease of access.
- Now connect your phone to the computer, mount as Charge Only and enable USB Debugging. You can enable USB debugging on Incredible S by going to Settings > Manage Applications > Development.
- Once you are done, double click on AlpharevX.exe to launch the program.
- After AlphaRev identifies your device and asks for Beta Key, copy the device serial number in brackets and use the form at AlphaRevX to generate beta key. Click on Windows download option and enter the serial number in the form that opens after download begins.
- Once you have the Beta key, input the key and you will get a Beta Key Accepted message.
- After this the application will start the S-Off procedure which should complete within 90 seconds. If it doesn’t then wait for 15 minutes and try the method again from start.