So you’ve got an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad on which you do a lot of web browsing, but you aren’t much of a Safari fan, and have another favourite web browser. Would you prefer using any third-party browser of your choice as the default browser on your iOS device? We’ve got good news for you! While Apple doesn’t provide such an option in iOS by default, you can easily get it with the Browser Changer Cydia tweak, as long as your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is jailbroken. Read on for more details and installation instructions.
Let’s face it - Safari is not the most likeable internet browser on iOS devices for many people, especially for folks with jailbreak. With excellent third-party browsers such as Skyfire, Opera Mini and Mercury Pro etc. now readily available, you have many viable and feature-rich choices. While you can use all these browsers while keeping Safari as default by manually launching them whenever you want to browse the web, Safari will continue popping up for opening links from other apps, as long as it is set as default. That’s what Browser Changer changes.It allows you to alter the default internet browser for all the apps, including Google and Yahoo Maps, so that no matter what app you open a link from, it opens in your browser of choice.
You need to have a jailbroken iPhone with Cydia installed on firmware version iOS 3 or later to change the default browser with Browser Changer. Ready to go for it? Simply follow these instructions.
- The first step is to launch Cydia on your phone.
- Next, we must add the repository source to Cydia sources that will allow us to install Browser Changer. To do this, go to Manage > Sources and tap Edit.
- In the source editing interface, add this source: http://apt.bigboss.us.com/repofiles/cydia/
- Press OK to confirm, and then wait for the repository files to be updated and added.
- Once done, search for Browser Changer in Cydia Search. It should now be available.
- Tap on Browser Changer’s Cydia search result and on the next page, tap ‘Install’.
- Wait while it installs and restart your device (or just Springboard) once installation has finished.
- Browser Changer has been installed, and can now be found in Phone Settings > Browser Changer.
You can now set the default browser of your choice and change the settings according to your requirements. Please note that for Opera Mini, automatic page loading on startup is not currently supported. It should work fine for other browsers though. Enjoy your default browser of choice on your iOS device.