T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II T989 users have a hit gold! Thanks to XDA-Developers forum member zedomax users of the T989 model finally have a chance at enabling USB Host support on their device via an OTG cable. This can be done so via a custom kernel that zedomax has spent almost a week on so hats off to the guy! The kernel is very easy to install, being recovery flashable (as in you can install it via a custom recovery if you have it installed). Now the kernel may not exactly be bug free, but for the most part it is and for the function it was meant to serve, it lives up to it remarkably well. Still being out for just over a day or two, do not be alarmed or surprised if you encounter any bugs with this kernel installed on your device. Got your geek mode in overdrive? More on the kernel and how you can install it on your device, after the jump!
Once installed, the kernel will let you connect USB peripheral devices such as Flash drives, USB Hard disks (To be powered independently of course), Mouse, Keyboard etc. According to the developer, the GPS is working View in gallery fine after flashing the kernel. Most often, custom kernel end up breaking the GPS or making it go a bit crazy.
Below you can catch a video of the OTG USB Host enabled on the SGH T989, courtesy of zedomax.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted T-Mobile Galaxy S II . See our guide on rooting the T-Mobile Galaxy S II.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See our guide on installing ClockworkMod recovery on the T-Mobile Galaxy S II.
- Zedomax T989 Kernel v0.1.
- To begin, download the kernel from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot into recovery by and make a nandroid backup (Backup & Restore > Backup).
- Select wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the kernel you copied to the SD card.
- Once the kernel is flashed, simply reboot your device.
For further updates and queries related to this kernel, head over to the to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.