If you are an iPhone 3GS owner and are interested in jailbreaking your device on iOS 4, you might have come across the mention of bootrom. Confused about what’s the deal with bootrom? Want to find out what bootrom does your phone have? We’re here to help. Read on for more information and the complete method on finding your phone’s bootrom version.
The bootrom basically the bootloader of your iOS device. It is the first code that executes when you power your phone on. Having a jailbreakable bootrom is a key requirement for jailbreaking iPhone 3GS on iOS 4. There is no alternate method available and you will need to have the old Bootrom on your iPhone 3GS to jailbreak iOS 4 onto it. If you have upgraded to a newer bootrom with an iOS upgrade, there is no jailbreaking method available for you right now. But how do you find out what bootrom does your phone have?
Here is the step by step guide on how to locate and identify the Bootrom version of your iPhone 3GS.
- The first step is to connect your iPhone 3GS to your PC and place your iPhone in DFU mode.
- Now go to My Computer and right click the icon to select “Properties”
- After you are in properties, click the hardware tab and navigate to Device Manager
- Once in Device Manager, go down to Universal Serial Bus Controller and click to select it
- Press the “+” sign and locate the Apple Mobile Device USB Drive and right click to select properties
- Once in properties, go the Device Instance ID and navigate down to the iBoot (Bootrom) version
- The old Bootrom is 359.3 and the New Bootrom goes like 359.3.2. If your bootrom version is 359.3 [Old Bootroom], then you can easily jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.
Yours turned out to be the new one? Tough luck for now, thought there may be hope for the future. While currently the new bootrom doesn’t allow jailbreaking because the exploit that allowed it in the old bootrom has been patched by Apple in the new one, a newer exploit might soon be discovered by the jailbreaking developers out there and as always, we’ll be amongst the first ones to bring it to you right here once that happens, so keep checking back.
Update: You can now jailbreak your iPhone 3GS on the new bootrom as well and as promised, here is the method to do so. Enjoy!