Recently, Google started rolling out Android 2.2 Froyo to the Verizon Motorola Droid. Many Droid owners have already upgraded to Froyo through the official OTA update by now, but there still may be some who have yet to receive it on theirs. In case you haven’t been able to update due to lack of OTA notifications or due to using your unlocked Verizon Droid on another CDMA carrier, you can manually install Android 2.2 Froyo on your Droid. As always, we’re here to help you do just that, so read on for our complete guide including the download link and the installation instructions.
Every time Google introduces a new version of Android, there are hopes all around by existing devices owners, of getting the latest version of Google’s smartphone OS on their devices. While the enthusiasts usually don’t wait and instead go for custom ROMs as soon as they start appearing online, most users prefer to just wait for the official OTA update. Though once the news of the official update airs, waiting till it is rolled out to your device (which may take hours, days or even a week or two depending on your region) is really hard. That’s why we’re here to guide you through the process of installing the latest Android 2.2 Froyo on your Motorola Droid.
Ready? Here is the step by step guide to manually install Froyo on your Droid. Please note that this guide is only intended for users who have stock Android OS running on their phones. If you are on a custom ROM, make sure to install the latest version of the official stock Android 2.1 Eclair ROM on it first.
Disclaimer: Please attempt this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be responsible in case your device bricks or any other damage occurs due to this method.
Download(download no longer available) the update file and save it to your desktop or any other desired folder.
- Rename the downloaded file to “update.zip”.
- Now connect your phone to the computer, mount SD card copy the downloaded update file to SD card root.
- After you have copied the file, turn off your handset.
- Now boot into recovery mode by pressing X on your phone’s keyboard and power button together.
- After you are in recovery mode, press volume up and camera button together for recovery options.
- Now navigate to applysdcard:update.zip option and use your D-pad to select.
- Wait for the installation to finish and there you go! You have successfully installed Android 2.2 Froyo on your Motorola Droid.