Finally there is some great news for Motorola Droid 3 owners as Hashcode has released Bootstrap ClockworkMod Recovery for the phone. Like other bootstrap recoveries, this one won’t be available in Market for sometime as it is still in beta stages. This version of ClockworkMod Recovery pretty much works as it should but ROM flashing / booting isn’t supported in this version. You can still make NANDROID backups, clear caches, factory reset and perform wipe in this modified CWM recovery for Droid 3. The credit for developing this Bootstrap ClockworkMod recovery goes to Hashtag at Rootzwiki forums.
If you want to give this beta bootstrap CWM Recovery by Hashtag a test-drive, then follow the instructions provided below:
We believe that you will need root in order to install the CWM recovery image on your Droid 3. Head on over to our Motorola Droid 3 root guide to get root access on your device.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to download Droid 3
ClockworkMod Recovery APK(file seems to have been removed).
- Once done, connect your phone to the computer and copy the downloaded APK file to SD Card root.
- After you are done copying the file in SD Card, download Astro File Manager from Market.
- Now disconnect your phone from the computer and tap on Astro icon to launch file manager.
- Follow onscreen instructions to Droid3Bootstrap.apk on your phone.
- After the installation is complete, tap on Droid3Bootstrap icon to launch application.
- Now tap on Bootstrap Recovery tab.
- Once the Recovery installation is complete, tap on Reboot Recovery.
- Your phone will reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can now use volume up / down and power button to navigate in recovery.
Here is a hands-on review of ClockworkMod Recovery for Motorola Droid 3:
Please note that this recovery is strictly for Droid 3 and shouldn’t be tried on any Motorola Droid variants. It is also important to mention that you CAN NOT flash ROMs or restore system images using this recovery. We believe that soon there will be an update which comes with ROM installation fix. You can keep an eye on the
RootzWiki thread (thread deleted) for updated versions and patches.