In case you were tired of that Motoblur infected Android 2.2 Froyo hindering your on-the-go productivity on Motorola Droid 2, then there is some good news for you. Folks over at Droid Forums have modded a original Nexus One FRF91 ROM into running onto Droid 2, and user feedback has been quite promising until now. The ROM is set to provide the users with “True Android Vanilla Experience” minus any branded bloatware causing troubles like system crashes etc. Another good aspect of this ROM is less memory usage, resulting in enhanced overall experience on Motorola Droid 2.
View in gallery
Here is the step by step guide on flashing FRF91 Motorola Droid 2 Fission Android 2.2 Froyo ROM.
Disclaimer: Please make sure that you have ample hands-on rooting experience before trying your hands on this one. Addictivetips won’t be liable for any damages that may incur to your device during the process.
- Download FRF91 Droid2 AOSP Final Android 2.2 Froyo ROM for Droid 2 from the link at the end of this post, and save it on your desktop.
- Now connect your phone to the computer, and copy the downloaded file to SD card root.
- Now make sure that your phone is rooted and has Bootstrap recovery installed. You can consult this guide to root your phone with a single click
- Bootstrap can be downloaded from Market and you can search for “Koush’s Droid X Bootstrap” for this purpose.
- Once you have got your Motorola Droid 2 rooted, Launch Bootstrap on your phone and press Bootstrap Recovery in the application.
- Once this is done, reboot your Droid 2 into recovery by pressing Reboot Recovery.
- Now once you are booted into recovery, create a backup by going to “Create Backup” in recovery.
- Now select Mount System.
- Once you have mounted the system, WIPE cache along with WIPE data.
- Once you are done with wiping, go to recovery main screen and scroll down to Choose ZIP from SD card.
- Once this is done, select the ROM file you copied earlier to SD card root.
- Now wait for the ROM to get installed. This may take some while so do not interfere with installation in any way. Doing so can brick your device.
- Once this is done, WIPE Cache and Data again from recovery.
- Now reboot your device from recovery. It is usually the 1st option on main recovery screen.
- The first reboot will take some time so hang in there. Once the reboot is done, go to Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset on your phone.
- Now reboot your phone again.
There you go! You now have FRF91 Vanilla Android 2.2 Froyo ROM without any Blur nuisance on your phone.
Download FRF91 Fission Android 2.2 Froyo Vanilla ROM (Link dead; see update below)
Update: This is a very old ROM and should be considered obsolete now. However, you can now install Android 2.3 Gingerbread based CyanogenMod ROM. See the links below for details and complete instructions.