It was a disappointment to see that iPhone didn’t get the latest power up in the form of iPhone 5, but even if it’s just iPhone 4S, iOS 5 has been released. That is a huge consolation for all the Apple fans. We have been promised the official rollout of the update on October 12th, but if you are too desperate there’s the GM version of iOS’s latest update available for download. If you have upgraded to iOS 5 to get a taste of the “magical” OS, you must be missing Cydia, your tweaks and jailbreak in general. Well, worry no more, Sn0wbreeze lets you jailbreak iOS 5 GM, even if its only a tethered jailbreak.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
If you managed to get iOS 5 GM running on your iDevice, then this guide should prove to be really easy to follow for you, but still, don’t miss the disclaimer in blue above. So let’s dive straight into the method now. This method is compatible with almost all devices running iOS 5, except the iPad 2. But make sure you check the tool’s documentation to see if your iDevice is supported by Sn0wbreeze’s latest version.
- You will need the latest Sn0wbreeze update first of all. Here’s the download link.
- Once you have it, save it to a prominent location on your PC and extract the archive. There’s just one file inside labeled “sn0wbreeze-v2.8b8”.
- Copy the IPSW file currently running on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Paste it to any location you can reach easily later.
- Double-click on the extracted sn0wbreeze-v2.8b8. It will give you a screen displaying credits to developers and the version number. Click OK until you reach the home screen of Sn0wbreeze.
- Click the blue forward arrow at the bottom right of the screen.
- You will be asked for the IPSW file you want to jailbreak. Point Sn0wbreeze in the file’s direction or simply drag and drop it in the provided box.
- Wait for Sn0wbreeze to detect your IPSW file’s settings. Once it’s done doing that, the details about it will be displayed onscreen. Hit next (which is the blue arrow).
- In the next step you will be offered three options. Choose “Expert mode”.
- On the next screen go for “Build IPSW”. This will begin the jailbreak procedure. Be patient.
- Once “Done” is displayed on your PC’s screen in big green letters, connect your iDevice to your system via USB cable. It will be detected, do not disconnect it once it has.
- Open iTunes. Hit Restore+ Shift and when asked for the IPSW file, direct the software to the firmware you just created.
Now you will be able to use your iOS 5 device as a jailbroken one as long as you keep it attached to your PC. Every time you connect your jailbroken iPhone to your PC having your newly created IPSW file, iBooty should start automatically. In it choose Start and from there on just follow the instructions iBooty gives you.
This jailbreak might help you discover the full potential of iOS 5 even before its official release.