In case you opted to go for an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II and are now waiting for root, then your wait is over! Development for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 kicked off as soon as the phone’s kernel source was made available. And the results so far have been awesome! Developers have not only managed to cook a custom stock kernel with root, but there are couple of popular ROM ports available for flashing. Senior XDA Member and Android Developer, Entropy512, released a stock and pre-rooted kernel packaged in stock system image. Flashing this System Image will not only give you root access on your phone, but will also unbrick your device if your flashed a bad PIT file earlier.
Here is the step by step guide to root AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II with modified kernel:
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to download KIES and install it on your computer. This will install the required drivers on your PC for ODIN to work without issues.
- After you are done with downloading KIES and installing it on your PC, download ODIN from link provided in Requirements section.
- Now unzip ODIN zip folder [You will need 7zip to extract this archive], make a new folder named ODIN on your desktop and copy the extracted files to this folder.
- Once done, download the System Image zip file from here, extract PDA.tar and copy it to ODIN folder on your desktop.
- Now click on Odin3 V1.85 to launch the application.
- Power off your phone completely and reboot it whole holding volume down button simultaneously with home and power buttons.
- After you are in the download mode, connect your phone to the computer via USB cable that came with your phone.
- You should now see COM 20 port highlighted with yellow in ODIN application windows. Only leave Auto Reboot checked and uncheck all other options.
- Now click on PDA tab and select the PDA.tar file you downloaded and copied to ODIN folder earlier.
- After you have selected the file, click on Start.
- Now sit back and relax while ODIN flashes this kernel on your phone.
- After the procedure is complete, your phone will auto reboot.
- In case your phone ends up in a bootloop after flashing the .tar file, reboot your phone in 3e Recovery and do Wipe / Data factory reset.
If you are facing any issues, then head to the XDA thread for live developer support.