If you have recently updated your Captivate to the KF1 firmware by Samsung based on Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread and want to root your device, there is a solution, a very easy one for that matter. The solution is kernel based, developed by XDA-Developers forum member designgears. So read on for more on the kernel and how to install it.
The kernel, is a pretty basic one for now as per the developer but gets you the much needed root with no issues as well, so missing out on some fancy features isn’t all that bad. Additionally you have init.d and furthermore, the kernel is insecure hence running adb as root.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- I897UCKF1 – Auto root kernel.
- Samsung USB drivers installed. Download USB drivers for 32 bit Windows | 64 bit Windows.
- ODIN installed on your system.
- To begin, download the kernel from the link above.
- Put your phone into download mode.
- Run ODIN and click on PDA and choose the kernel when prompted.
- Once done, connect your phone to the computer via USB and once you see the device connected in ODIN, hit the Start button.
- ODIN will start flashing the ROM, and once done, your phone will reboot. You can unplug the phone from your computer.
All done! your phone should now boot up all rooted. for updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.