View in galleryEarlier we covered a rooting guide for the Xperia Play, but that was for devices running the .184 firmware. For those with Xperia Play devices running the 3.0.1.A.0.145 UK firmware, root access is now finally a reality thanks to XDA-Developer kanzone. Read on for more on how to root your device.
Rooting the device a very simple task, but taking precautionary measures has made the process somewhat lengthy but not cumbersome by any means. If you’re wondering why you need to root your device, see our guide on top 10 reasons to root your Android device. So let’s begin with the rooting process.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Un-rooted 3.0.1.A.0.145 UK ROM. Download and flash it as per the given instructions at XDA-Developers.
- Bootloader unlocked. See our guide on unlocking the Play’s bootloader.
- Pre-Rooted firmware.
The instruction set will assume that you already have fastboot and the USB drivers installed considering you can only attempt this by unlocking the bootloader first and that requires you to have fastboot and the USB drivers installed.
- To begin, download the Pre-rooted firmware, extract it to find SYSTEMFILE.img and copy it to android-sdk-windows\tools.
- Now within that folder, hold the Shift key and press the right Mouse button. Now select Open command window here.
- Enter the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash system SYSTEMFILE.img
fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system SYSTEMFILE.img
fastboot-mac -i 0x0fce flash system SYSTEMFILE.img
- Wait patiently as the file is flashed onto your device. Once done, your phone would be rooted.
For updates, queries or help with issues, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.