Samsung Galaxy S II made it to Sprint by the name of Epic 4G Touch. And as soon as the Android development and hacking community got hold of the phone, the quest for acquiring root privileges kicked off. The latest news in this regard is that Epic 4G Touch now has root and majority of the phone’s functionality remains intact after running the exploit. The root became available a day before yesterday but due to some driver hiccup, the original exploiter had his Epic 4G Touch bricked. Now we believe that all issues have been solved and all you need is ODIN and a .tar file to do the deed. The root method involves a pre-rooted .tar file flashing via ODIN which will provide SuperUser permissions.
In order to let ODIN work properly, you need KIES. Please download KIES, run it on your computer and follow the instructions provided below.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
Here are step by step instructions to root Spring Epic 4G Touch:
- The first step is to download ODIN version 1.85 to your desktop.
- Once done, download Pre-Rooted Tar file for Epic 4G Touch and save it on your computer.
- After this extract the earlier downloaded ODIN zip archive along with Victory PIT file.
- Now double click on Odin3 V1.85 to launch the application.
- Once ODIN is open, only leave Auto Reboot as checked and uncheck all other options.
- Now click on the PIT Tab in ODIN and select the Epic Touch PIT file.
- After this check mark PDA slot followed by clicking PDA button. Now navigate to .tar file you downloaded in step 3 and select it.
- Now power off your phone.
- After you phone is completely powered off, press and hold volume down + home key + power button. This will boot your phone in ODIN mode.
- Now connect your phone to the computer via USB cable that came with the phone.
- Now you should see COM number lighten up in the ID:COM filed in ODIN.
- After this press start and sit back while the rooted kernel is flashed on your phone.
- Once the rooted kernel flashing is complete, your phone will reboot automatically and you will have root on your Epic 4G Touch.
Here is a video tutorial for your reference:
All credit for this rooting guide goes goes to ShappyPenguin, Tanimn and Android Creative Syndicate.