Finally there is some great news for Samsung Vibrant owner looking to get root access on their handsets. The detailed rooting instruction for Vibrant are out with all credit going to Justadude on XDA Forums. According to the developer, this method is applicable on Samsung Vibrant and all generic version of Samsung Galaxy S i9000.
Here are the step by step instruction on rooting Samsung Vibrant:
***This will work on the T-Mobile US branded Vibrant and generic Galaxy S models***
***IMPORTANT: YOU PERFORM THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY, I NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.***
***UPDATE: Now you can do this without ADB installed!
The following method should be relatively care-free but there is always a risk with activities like rooting a device or flashing a new firmware.
1. Download the attached zip and rename to: update.zip
2. On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > USB settings and select Mass storage
3. Plug your device into your computer, select mount USB from your device’s pull-down window
4. Copy the update.zip to the INTERNAL SD memory (~14gb on this drive, not the one w/ Avatar if you’ve still got the 2gb SD card in)
5. Turn your phone off.
6. Hold down volume up and volume down while powering on the phone, this should get you to a recovery menu, you may have to try this a few times.
7. In Recovery menu select ‘Reinstall Packages’ (use vol_down then power to select)
Phone will reboot
and you have
2. busybox (/system/xbin/busybox)
Original credit goes to LeshaK at Samdroid, I modified the script within update.zip to work on the Vibrant.
Other credits to the fine folks in this thread that noted the vol up+down recovery menu.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be responsible if you end up with a bricked device.