Earlier we had covered the guide on rooting the SE Xperia Arc and Neo, but that left out the much hyped and anticipated Xperia Play. This guide will attempt to help you root your Xperia Play in no time. As in the case of the Arc and Neo, gaining root on the Xperia Play is a relatively simple task as well. Read on to root your Xperia Play!
Root access on this device has been made possible thanks to XDA-Developers forum member Bin4ry. The method should work for phones on the .184 firmware.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Xperia Play with an unlocked bootloader. See our guide on how to unlock the Xepira Play’s bootloader.
- Root Package.
The instruction set will assume that you already have fastboot and the USB drivers installed considering you can only attempt this by unlocking the bootloader first and that requires you to have fastboot and the USB drivers installed.
- To begin, download the Root Package and copy it to the fastboot folder that you extracted earlier on when unlocking the bootloader.
- Now within that folder, hold the Shift key and press the right Mouse button. Now select Open command window here.
- Enter the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash system YOURDOWNLOADEDFILE.img
fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system YOURDOWNLOADEDFILE.img
fastboot-mac -i 0x0fce flash system YOURDOWNLOADEDFILE.img
- Wait patiently as the file is flashed onto your device. Once done, your phone would be rooted and ready to receive custom recoveries and ROMs that will soon follow.
For updates, queries or help with issues, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.