More and more people are converting to custom ROMs to get a better overall experience on their Android phones. However to install a ROM on your phone, the first step is usually to get root access on your device. Rooting your phone gives you an amazing amount of control over it, but it comes with a downside. Once your phone is rooted, its warranty is void. That’s why it should be useful to know how to revert back to the original state of your device. Another reason for seeking to unroot your device might be to make the system more stable. Whatever your reason might be, if you have a rooted Nexus S 4G, and you are planning to keep the warranty intact, this guide is just what you need.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Downloaded all the files needed for this procedure to your PC by from the link provided at the end of this post.
- Extract the files to your desktop.
- Separate out the .tar files and odin as we will need just those files. Keep them in an easily accesible place in your computer.
- Click on odin and once it’s running, go to the files section and check the options pda, phone and bootloader.
- Give the link to the respective .tar file opposite each checked option like this:
- Against the “phone” option, direct to sph-d720-phone.tar
- Opposite “bootloader”, input sph-d720-bootloader.tar
- In front of “pda” give the direction sph-d720-pda.tar
- Turn of your Nexus S.
- Without turning it on, press the volume decrease and increase buttons at a time. While still holding the buttons, turn on the power.
- You should see an icon on your screen displaying “downloading”. Quickly plug the phone into your computer via USB cable.
- Odin will give you a pop-up list of options. Click Start, and then wait for everything to complete.
A number of users have dubbed the method to be ineffective, and have numerous issues with it. So, don’t be surprised if your phone remains rooted even after you have followed all the steps carefully. The steps to be followed are pretty simple, so that shouldn’t prove to be an issue for most users. In any case, if you are looking for further details and download links, visit the official thread for rooting and unrooting procedures related to Nexus S 4G.