View in galleryThe HTC Desire gets Ice Cream Sandwich thanks to XDA-Developers forum member Sandvold. ICS is all the hype right now, and since its source code was made public, custom ROM development for a handful of devices has progressed not only quickly, but has yielded successful results as well. While some users wait for stable ICS builds, some devices are already enjoying the ICS goodness. The ROM by Sandvold for the Desire here, is a Beta, but according to the list of broken functions, we have come to the conclusion, that this ROM can in fact be used as a daily driver.
We wont get into what’s working in this ROM right now, because pretty much everything is. What is not working, is the Camera, USB Mass Storage (can be enabled with this apk), no USB tethering. Will there be more bugs? Possibly, but the ROM is worth a shot.
Picture below courtesy of the developer.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted HTC Desire. See our guide on how to root the HTC Desire.
- A custom recovery installed. See our guide on what is ClockworkMod recovery and how to install it.
- ICS Beta 0.1.1 for Desire.
- To begin, download the ROM from the link above, and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot the device into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the zip file.
- Once the ROM is flashed, simply reboot your device.
For updates and queries, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.