Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has found it’s way onto the Droid Bionic! Android devices have begun receiving ICS ROMs on a more increasing frequency lately, showing us just how crazed we Android fans are when it comes to major OS updates and Google goes on to imply that some devices may never get that, or for that matter, some devices will get the update soon, but when? RootzWiki forum member and developer, dhacker29 has released an ICS based AOSP ROM for the Bionic which has now reached Alpha v6. Yes, the ROM isn’t fully perfected yet, but it’s almost there. More on the ROM and how you can install it on the Bionic, after the break.
Further credits to:
DroidTh3ory for always answering my questions and getting me excited about this!!
AOSP and CyanogenMod for all the hard work on the source.
RevNumbers for the initial port of CM7 to the BIONIC.
Hashcode for sharing his progress on the DROID 3 with us and letting me hit his GTalk all the time.
LiQuIDzGrL for the cool boot animation.
Being in the Alpha stage right now, functions such as touchscreen, capacitive buttons, charging indicator, Bluetooth, both SD cards, built-in screenshot, reboot menu, phone (no audio), SMS & GPS work fine. That said, Audio and Data seem to be broken for now.
Pictures below, courtesy of the developer.
Now that you understand what this ROM is all about, and wish to get it up and running on your device, let us show you how.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Droid Bionic. See our guide on rooting the Droid Bionic.
- SafeStrap recovery installed. (The ROM has only been booted in SafeStrap for the Bionic. Support is there for 2nd init but untested. Be sure to remove Koush’s bootstrap recovery prior to installing this one) Download SafeStrap.apk.
- ICS for Bionic Alpha 6. (Links to the forum thread since the ROM is being continuously updated.)
- To begin, download the ROM and copy it to the root of your SD card.Now reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Once the ROM is chosen, it will be flashed to the device and will take a few minutes.
- When the ROM is installed, simply reboot your device.
For updates and queries related to this ROM, head over to the forum thread at RootzWiki.