Do you own an HTC Sensation 4G? If you think the camera or more precisely, the Camcorder on your device is brilliant, it’s about to get even more awesome. Thanks to XDA-Developer |ErosizeD|, you can now mod your camera to record at higher bitrates which according to the developer, is close to BlueRay DVD quality with an increased FPS stability. The mod currently supports ROMs based on Sense 3.0 or 3.5 and CyanogenMod 7 or MIUI. As for the still camera, compression has been set to 0%, thereby the image quality has also been increased.
According to the developer, the mod for CyanogenMod 7, which is in an Alpha stage, maybe unstable and needs to be properly tested and reported by users. The mod has been reported to be working just fine on the following ROMs for now:
- Android Revolution HD 4.X.X (sense 3.5).
- HyperSensation (CyanogenMod).
The mod for Sense based ROMs has been packed in a zip file, easily flashable via ClockworkMod recovery, so installation of the mod should ne no issue at all. However, installing the mod on the CM7 or MIUI ROM would have to be done manually with a modified Camera app for the Sensation.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted HTC Sensation 4G. See our guide on rooting the HTC Sensation.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See our guide on installing ClockworkMod recovery on the Sensation 4G.
- Sense 3.0 or 3.5 based ROM, or CM7 / MIUI.
- Download the mod specific to your ROM from the forum thread at XDA-Developers.
For Sense 3.0 / 3.5
- Download the mod from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, and make a nandroid backup.
- Select wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the mod.
- Once the mod is flashed, simply reboot your device.
For CM7 / MIUI
- To begin, download the mod from the link above and extract it to find 2 files.
- Rename Camera.apk to HTCCamera.apk
- Install ES File Explorer or Root Explorer (paid) from the Android Market.
- Copy both the extracted files to the root of your SD card.
- Run ES File Explorer or Root Explorer and make sure to enable Root Access to allow access to root level files on your device.
- Navigate to /system/app/, and enable R/W access.
- Find HTCCamera.apk and check the permissions for that app. Rename HTCCamera.apk to HTCCamera.apk.bak.
- Navigate to /system/etc/, and enable R/W access.
- Find media_profiles.xml and check the permissions for that app. Rename the file to media_prfiles.bak.
- From the SD Card, copy HTCCamera.apk and paste to /system/app/. Set the permissions for that app as were set for the original app and revert R/W access to R/O.
- Copy media_profiles.xml and paste to /system/etc/. Set the permissions for that app as were set for the original app and revert R/W access to R/O.