We recently featured how to root Motorola Defy and install a custom recovery on it and now, we are bringing you a custom rooted Android 2.2 FroYo ROM overclocked to 1 GHz for your Android phone, courtesy of XDA-Developers forum member tenfar. If you are still running an older version of Android on your Motorola Defy, read on for details, download link and installation instructions.
This ROM is basically a nandroid backup taken by tenfar that you can recover to your device to get Android 2.2 FroYo working on it. It is based on the official update by Motorola released in the Chinese region, and is overclocked to 1 GHz by default. Several users have been able to get it up and running on their devices.
To be able to recover this backup though, your phone must be rooted first and it must also have GoAPK ClockworkMod recovery installed to be able to restore the nandroid backup. A version of Google apps that works with this ROM is also available.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
This installation procedure is for advanced users only who understand all these steps.
Before you proceed, please note that this is quite an advanced method and we will NOT be able to help you with it if you can’t get it working. There might be issues and you might need to start over if something doesn’t work. For help with any issues, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers and ask there.
- To install this ROM to your phone, first make sure that it is rooted and in case it isn’t, refer to our guide on how to root Motorola Defy.
- Once you have it rooted, install GoAPK ClockworkMod Recovery to it by downloading it from the link given below, extracting the apk and running it on your device.
- Download the Rooted Android 2.2 FroYo for Motorola Defy Nandroid Backup from the link given below and copy it to your SD card.
- Also download Google Apps from the link given below
- Reboot your device into recovery, wipe data and cache, and restore this nandroid backup. Don’t reboot from recovery yet.
- Now flash Google apps from recovery, wipe data and cache and reboot your device into Android.
- Download RSD Lite from the link given below, unzip it and install it to your computer.
- Download the Defy 2.2 Boot Only SBF file from the link given below and extract it from the zip file.
- Reboot your phone into fastboot / bootloader and flash the sbf file using RSD Lite.
Download GoAPK ClockworkMod Recovery for Motorola Defy
Download Rooted Android 2.2 FroYo for Motorola Defy (Nandroid Backup)
Download Google Apps for Motorola Defy Android 2.2 FroYo
Download RSD Lite 4.9
Download Defy 2.2 Boot Only SBF