Android 2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Galaxy S is here! After lots of doubts and anxious moments when this ROM was leaked over a Polish forum, we can now confirm that the leak, is in fact a legitimate Gingerbread ROM by Samsung meant for the Galaxy S I9000. What’s more is that since the leak happened, forum members at XDA-Developers have started working on some fixes as well. For more information on this ROM and how to install it on your phone, read on!
This version of the ROM is still a semi-official release where a couple of things aren’t exactly functional. View in gallery
- All bands seem to be functional.
- Swype feature, previously broken is now fixed.
- TouchWiz 3.
- Market is functional.
- Recovery Mode.
- Some apps especially games won’t work properly.
- You may encounter ‘Kernel Panic’ when browsing.
Now let’s get this ROM up and running on your Galaxy S!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Android 2.3.2 for Galaxy S. Download.
- ODIN installed on your PC. Download.
- Samsung USB drivers installed. Download USB drivers for 32 bit Windows | 64 bit Windows.
- Rooted Galaxy S. See our guide on how to root the Galaxy S. (Rooting your phone prior to installing this ROM isn’t required. However we highly suggest you make a nandroid backup before you proceed with flashing the ROM. For that rooting is required)
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed. See here for installing ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S.
- Extract the ROM you downloaded to any folder.
- Extract ODIN.
- Reboot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
- Power off your phone and unplug it from the PC.
- Enter download mode. (Press the volume – +, power button and home button together.)
- Once you have entered download mode, run ODIN on the PC.
- In ODIN, click on the PIT box and select the file ‘s1_odin_20100803.pit’ from the folder where you extracted ODIN.
- Then click on the PDA box and select ‘CODE_I9000XWJV1_CL31216_REV03_user_mid_noship.tar.md5’ from the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- Click on Phone box and select ‘MODEM_I9000XXJVE.tar.md5’ from the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- Click on the CSC box and select ‘GT-I9000-MULTI-CSC-OXXJV1.tar.md5’ from the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- Check ‘Re-partition’, ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F.Reset Time’.
- Make sure that you did not mix up the files while selecting them!
- Connect your phone (already in download mode) to the the PC and ODIN will show, “Added” under the message box.
- Hit the Start button and let it process.
- Once the process is complete, your phone will automatically reboot.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy S has finally tasted Gingerbread and we must say it was about time! For queries and updates, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers. Do let us know how your experience with this ROM went.