View in galleryWe have confirmation that Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread has reached the Samsung Galaxy S II in the form of a leak! Previously Android 2.3.3 had been made available for this device but suffered the Android OS battery drain bug. The current 2.3.4 firmware (XXKG1) is said to have removed that bug and make your device last a bit longer.
As for the leak, there is a completely stock version of the firmware that has also transpired into a custom rom, that is DarkyROM2 – quite popular amongst the Galaxy S I9000 fans as Darky’s ROM. While the stock firmware is totally as stock as it can be, without root – in fact it is completely untouched – the DarkyROM2 on the other hand is based on that stock firmware and is rooted and deodexed. This custom ROM is intended as a base ROM and has no overscroll, CRT animation, or extended power menu etc.
So if you can’t wait to get a taste of 2.3.4 running on your Galaxy S II, we’ll tell you how to get it up and running on your phone.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- ODIN installed on your system. Download
- Stock XXKG1 ODIN firmware
- DarkyROM2 Deodexed Base ROM
- SuperCore 1.0 Kernel (Required to flash base ROM)
- Samsung USB drivers: Download for 32bit Windows | 64bit Windows
The instructions will be split into two potions, one for flashing the stock firmware, and one for the custom Base ROM.
- To begin, download the stock firmware from the link above and extract the contents.
- Run ODIN and check the Repartition tab.
- Click on PIT and select the PIT file.
- Click on PDA and select CODE_I9100XXKG1_CL349526_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.
- Click on Phone and choose the MODEM_I9100XXKG1_REV_02_CL1034110.tar.
- Lastly, click CSC to select GT-I9100-CSC-MULTI-OXAKG1.tar.
- Now enter Download mode on the phone and connect it to the computer via USB.
- Once the device is shown connected on ODIN, hit the Start button and wait for the firmware to flash.
DarkyROM2 Base ROM
- To begin, download the SuperCore kernel and DarkyROM2 Base ROM from the links above.
- Copy the ROM to the root of your SD card and once copied, power off the device.
- Run ODIN and make sure Repartition is unchecked and so is Auto Reboot.
- Click on PDA and select the SuperCore kernel you downloaded.
- Now enter Download mode on the device and connect it to the computer via USB.
- Once the device shows as connected on ODIN, hit the Start button and wait for the kernel to flash.
- Once flashed, unplug the phone, take out the battery and put it back in again.
- This time enter recovery mode by holding down the Volume down key, Home button and then the Power button, letting go of the power button once you see the Samsung logo.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and then choose the ROM you copied to your SD card.
For updates and queries, visit the
forum thread at XDA-Developers (thread not available any longer).