View in galleryAndroid’s earliest smartphone generation, has blatantly refused to die. Determined to see the evolution of the OS through to stages beyond imagination, the HTC Dream G1 just received a custom ROM based on Google’s latest Android 2.3.5 firmware, shortly after the firmware was released for the Nexus S 4G. Since then the firmware has been operated on and dissected and finding itself ported onto a handful of Android handsets. In the HTC G1’s case, credit goes to XDA-Developers forum member dw9906 for compiling a CM7.1 based ROM from Cyanogenmod’s source.
Credits to CyanogenMod, Ezterry for the 220.127.116.11 kernel & Google for Open Source.
As for the features of the ROM you can see those below:
- Android 2.3.5.
- JIT on/off.
- Surface dithering on/off.
- Compcache Settings.
- VM Heap Settings.
- Swipe to clear Notifications.
- SetCPU Settings.
- Tablet Tweaks.
- Slide status bar to adjust brightness.
- Option to disable Wallpaper.
- CyanogenMod extra rotation settings.
- Built in Screenshot app. Hold in Power button for option.
For a complete list of changelog, extras and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers. According to the developer, the ROM doesn’t seem to contain any bugs. So if you wish to give your G1 a rush of Android 2.3.5, here’s how you can get this ROM up and running on your device.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A Rooted HTC Dream G1. See how to root the HTC Dream G1.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. Install via ROM Manager from the Market.
- CM7.1 (unofficial).
- Custom kernel (ezgb-2636-v1.5_S.zip). Using this is optional.
- Google Apps.
- To begin, download the ROM and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Now reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Once the ROM is chosen, it will be flashed to the device and will take a few minutes.
- When the ROM is installed, simply reboot your device.