CyanogenMod team has just released Android 2.3 Gingerbread based CyanogenMod 7 Test for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000 which finally brings the latest Android version for phones to this device. Several users have reported that it works fine for them so if you want to get CM7 on your phone as soon as possible, read on for details.
This ROM is the first CyanogenMod 7 release for any Samsung Galaxy S Series device and it is an early release at the moment with a lot of missing features. It is therefore intended only for those who can work their way around unexpected bugs. While several users have been able to run it with little or no unexpected glitches, there have been many who experienced problems apart from the known issues as well. Following is a list of known issues and most other things work for most users.
- Camera doesn’t work while Camcorder does,
- Front Facing Camera doesn’t work,
- Polling problem on RIL (works after lock and unlock),
- 2G/3G toggle works only if there is no active data connection,
- Compass is buggy,
- External SD card can’t be mounted,
- ADB commands such as reboot recovery & reboot download etc. aren’t supported,
- FM-Radio doesn’t work,
- TV-Out doesn’t work,
- There may be random reboots, especially if Wi-Fi is enabled.
Here is how to get this ROM up and running on your device.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Phone fully charged.
- 200MB or more free space on internal SD card.
Odin v1.52(no longer required)
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S I9000.
The Initial CM7 PackageLatest CM7 for Galaxy S
- Latest Google Apps (optional but required for Market access)
- If you have disabled HSDPA using the magic dialer code on your Samsung ROM, you must enable it before proceeding or else you will not be able to activate HSDPA, you have to enable it before you flash CM7 otherwise you won’t be able to activate HSDPA afterwards.
- Extract the initial package to your computer and copy these files to the root of your internal SD card:
- gapps-gb-20110117-signed.zip (optional)
- Put your phone in download mode and flash the SpeedMod kernel (speedmod-kernel-k12n-500hz.tar file found in the initial CM7 package) to it as PDA via Odin.
- Reboot your phone into recovery using the three button combination and apply galaxys-efsbackup.zip, rebooting one finished.
- Put your phone into download mode again and flash the CyanogenMod 7 initial kernel (cm7-galaxys-initial-kernel.tar file from initial CM7 package) to it as PDA without auto-reboot using Odin.
- Reboot your phone into recovery using three button combination again.
- Go to “mounts & storage” and from there, format system, data, cache.
- Now install the cm7-galaxys-initial-20110211.zip file from recovery.
- Perform a wipe data/factory reset and reboot your device from recovery.
- Optionally, flash gapps-gb-20110117-signed.zip from recovery in a similar way without formatting or wiping anything.
For more information and updates (including how to update to a newer version of this ROM when it is released), visit the
CyanogenMod forum thread (thread deleted). In case of any problems or bugs, see the instructions at the forum thread and report them to the developers accordingly.