Ever since the launch of the first Android 2.3 Gingerbread based CyanogenMod 7 ROM for Nexus S, we have been keeping our eyes peeled for ports of our favorite Android custom ROM for other devices. Now the newest build of CyanogenMod 7
Alpha Stable is available for the HTC myTouch 4G. Continue reading for download link and installation instructions.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
This is an Alpha build brought to you by XDA-Developers forum member option94 and is based on the nightly source code of CyanogenMod. It features the latest enhancements to Android introduced in Gingerbread as well as all the additional useful tools, apps and hacks you would expect in CyanogenMod. It seems quite stable for an alpha release so far. Everything seems to be working, though getting Wi-Fi to work might require a reboot. Update: The download link has been replaced with that of the official stable version, since that is now available.
A version of Google Apps that works with this build is also available. Flashing this or any CyanogenMod 7 build requires ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0 or later. Instructions for installing it are also included here.
To install this ROM:
- Make sure your device is rooted. If it isn’t, refer to our guide on how to root HTC myTouch 4G.
Make sure you have adb installed. If it isn’t, refer to our ADB installation guide. Download ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0 from the link given below, extract the recovery.img file from the zip and place it in the ‘tools’ folder of your android SDK installation. Connect your phone to your computer via USB and make sure its USB debugging mode is on. You can turn it on by going to Settings > Applications > Development. Open up a command prompt window, navigate to the ‘tools’ folder of your Android SDK installation and enter these commands:
adb reboot bootloader fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
This will install ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0 on your device. Wait patiently till the recovery is installed and then reboot your phone. You may then delete recovery.img from the ‘tools’ folder of your Android SDK installation.
- Install ROM Manager from Google Play Store and use it to flash the latest ClockworkMod recovery. See our guide for more info.
- Download the ROM from the link given below and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Flash the ROM to your phone from recovery. If you don’t know how to do that, you can refer to our guide on how to flash a ROM to an Android device from recovery. Make sure to backup your data first and then wipe all data and cache from your phone before flashing this ROM.
- [Optional] Download Google Apps from the link given below, copy the zip to the root of your SD card and flash it from recovery like you flashed the ROM. Do not wipe data though.
For updates, bug reports or any workarounds, head over to this XDA-Developers forum thread.
ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0 for HTC myTouch 4G (Required for CyanogenMod 7 ROM) (No longer required) ClockworkMod Recovery 18.104.22.168 for HTC myTouch 4G (No longer required)