When the Honeycomb SDK was released, the developers reaction was more then just emphatic as it paved way for the development of Honeycomb based ROMs for devices that could support the Android 3.0. It is the result of that craze for Android by fans, that has seen the tablet version of Google’s Android OS make its way onto the Samsung Nexus S. This guide will attempt to give you a detailed insight into the ROM and consequently provide you with the instructions on installing it onto the Nexus S, that is if you’re up to it.
As always, it’s an SDK port which means quite a handful of your device’s features will not be functioning. We’ll show you what’s working and what’s not: View in gallery
- The touchscreen works. Frankly we are amused till date pointing out this feature in most ROM ports.
- USB connectivity is working.
- SD Card is accessible and readable.
- The screen may flicker when registering a touch input.
- Apps may act funny.
According to the developer, this port is just a start and improvements will follow so don’t get your hopes high just as yet. So now that you understand what you’re dealing with and want to witness the gorgeous graphics of Honeycomb, on the gorgeous Nexus S screen, let’s install it!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Nexus S. See our guide on how to root the Nexus S.
- ClockworkMod recovery 3+ installed. See our guide on how to install ClockworkMod Recovery 3+ on Nexus S.
- Honeycomb SDK Port for Nexus S.
- To begin, copy the ROM you downloaded from the link above to the root of your SD card.
- Once the ROM is copied, reboot into recovery.
- Once in the recovery, make a NANDroid backup. See our guide on how to perform and restore a NANDroid backup.
- Once in the recovery, select Wipe data/factory reset. Now, wipe cache and Dalvick Cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM you copied to your SD card.
- You will be prompted with whether to install the file or not; choose Yes.
- Wait patiently for the installation to complete and once it does, simply reboot your device.
Voila! Your Nexus S should now boot into the awesome Android 3.0 Honecyomb! For updates and queries regarding this ROM, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.