The Dell Streak 7, powered by a dual-core 1Ghz Tegra processor natively runs Android 2.2 Froyo. When launched, there were hints by Dell that the company may release an official Honeycomb update for the Streak 7. While Dell contemplates on when to do that, XDA-Developers forum member DJ_Steve has released an Android 3.1 Honeycomb based ROM for the owners of the Streak 7 tablet. Read on for more on this awesome ROM and how you can install it on your device.
The ROM, named HoneyStreak HD7 is still a Beta at this stage but compared to numerous other Honeycomb ports for other Android devices, this one is pretty stable and should mature in no time with future updates.
According to the developer, the performance is “Insane” with almost everything working as it should. However this being a beta, there will be problems that have not been recorded as of yet. As for the ones that we are aware of you can see them below:
- If the device goes to sleep without being plugged into a power source such as the pc or the mains, it could power down.
- Video chat works, but there’s a catch to it. You wont be able to hear the callers voice, but that person will be able to hear you.
- Google Apps, will work as long as you have the LCD density set to 106 or below.
Below you can find a few screenshots courtesy of the developer and then we move on with the installation.
Disclaimer: Flash a custom ROM to your phone at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Dell Streak 7. See our guide on how to root the Dell Streak 7.
- A custom recovery installed. See what is ClockworkMod recovery and how to install it.
- HoneyStreak HD7 ROM.
- To begin, download the ROM from the download link above and extract the zip file.
- Now backup your internal storage on the streak as the installation process will wipe it clean.
- Power the device off and unplug the USB cable (if attached) from it.
- Keeping both the volume keys pressed, connect the USB cable to the device. (This should boot your device into APX mode.)
- You will be prompted with a driver installation so choose to update the driver through have disk and navigate to the folder usbpcdriver located in the folder where you extracted the ROM package. You will now see one driver so choose that.
- Once the driver is installed, run Flash.bat and let the ROM install on your device.
- Once the installation box disappears, power on your Streak 7.
That’s it! If you followed the instructions correctly, you should boot into the HoneyStreak HD7 in a few minutes. For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.