HTC EVO 4G gets Ice Cream Sandwich! Android’s latest OS to date that is all the rage these days, with fans looking forward to get ICS ROMs up and running on their devices as quickly as possible. While a handful of devices wait around for official updates, developers are not willing to stand by and wait. Since the source code was Ice Cream Sandwich was released, development in terms of AOSP ROMs have kicked into high gear. This ICS ROM for the Evo 4G, comes in courtesy of XDA-Developers forum member the_plattypus. That said, the ROM as like most other AOSP ROMs out there, is still a work in progress with quite a few things not working at the moment. More on the ROM and how you can get it up and running on your Evo 4G, after the break.
So before we move on with the installation, here’s a look at what’s working and what’s not in the ROM. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Audio, Carrier Service, and Touchscreen seem to be working fine for now. That said, appears like GPS and USB Mass Storage mode may be broken for now, since the developer has made no mention of it. We, however, cannot confirm that. So if you’re willing to give this WIP ROM a go, let us show you how you can do that.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted EVO 4G. See our guide on how to root the Evo 4G.
- A custom recovery installed. See what is ClockworkMod recovery and how to install it.
- Download ICS ROM for EVO 4G. (Links to the forum page, as ROM will keep updating.)
- To begin, download the ROM from the link above and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Boot your device into recovery mode by holding down the Volume down key as your press the Power button.
- Make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory resest, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM you copied to your device.
- Once the ROM is flashed, simply reboot your device and cross your fingers!
For updates and queries, related to this ROM, head over to the forum thread at XDA-Developers.