The T-Mobile Sidekick 4G by Samsung is the successor to the original Sidekick and it has the specs to prove it, not just the timeline. Sporting the same Hummingbird chipset as found in most of the Samsung Galaxy S series of devices, the Sidekick 4G has a lot of potential that is left to be unleashed, and that of course comes with root access and a custom recovery installed. If you have your device already rooted, you should consider installing the ClockworkMod recovery that has just been released for this device and if you haven’t been living under a rock all this time, you would have heard the praise going around for the famous ClockworkMod Recovery.
This port of the ClockworkMod recovery to the Sidekick 4G has been made possible by XDA-Developers forum member krylon360. Incase you’re wondering what ClockworkMod recovery is, check out our guide on what is ClowckworkMod recovery for Android and how to use it, and if you’re convinced that this custom recovery is something you badly need, here’s how to get it up and running on your device.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Sidekick 4G. See our guide on rooting the Sidekick 4G.
- Modified binary recovery. (This is to replace your current stock recovery.)
- Any file explorer that gives you access to system files, such as Root Explorer or ES File Explorer.
The instructions will be split into two parts, one involving installing the modified binary recovery to your device, followed by flashing ClockworkMod recovery via ROM Manager.
Modified Binary Recovery
To begin, download the modified binary recovery from the link above and copy the extracted binary inside of it, to /system/bin via the root explorer. Make sure to overwrite the file, don’t go around deleting the file recovery.zip first and then copying the new one. That’s it, the modified binary recovery has been pushed to your device, now it’s time to flash the ClockworkMod recovery.
Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery
- To begin, install ROM Manager from the Market | Download apk.
- Once ROM Manager is installed, tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and ROM Manager will download the appropriate ClockworkMod recovery version for your Sidekick 4G and consequently flash it when finished downloading.
That was it! You should now have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your T-Mobile Sidekick 4G. For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.