Finally there is some great news for Samsung Galaxy S II [S 2] owners as CyanogenMod 7 nightlies page is now live with custom ROMs available for download. Earlier we covered the same nightly build, but we aren’t sure if that 3rd party link will be up for long. But now Galaxy S II is officially onboard and you can easily update your phone to the latest CM 7.1 nightlies manually or through ROM Manager premium. In case you don’t know, CyanogenMod is a 3rd party Android AOSP based firmware intended for select Android devices to enhance and optimize user experience. CM is perhaps the most adapted custom ROM throughout the world because of it’s being “AOSP”, less bugs and rock-like stability.
So let’s cut the rant short and see how we can install this CM 7.1 nightly build on your Samsung Galaxy S II.
Before embarking on the installation process, it is important to remember that you need to have root on your device along with ClockworkMod recovery installed. And as nightly builds aren’t officially supported until they evolve into release candidate state, so you are responsible if anything goes wrong or your phone goes in eternal sleep of death aka Brick!
Having understood all the risks involved, here is the step by step guide to install CM 7.1 nightly build on your Samsung Galaxy S via ROM Manager:
- The first step is to make sure that you have root on your device with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Once done, connect your phone over a stable Wi-Fi internet connection.
- Now tap to launch Market and download / install ROM Manager Premium.
- After you have ROM Manager installed on your phone, launch ROM Manager and allow SU permissions.
- Once done, tap on Download ROM followed by selecting the top CyanogenMod Nightlies Tab.
- After this you will be able to see all CM 7 builds listed in ascending order.
- Tap to select the latest build and then tap on Download tab at bottom to commence download.
- Once the download is complete, follow onscreen popups to do a complete WIPE, make a Nandroid backup and flash the ROM through recovery.
- Once the ROM is installed, your phone will automatically reboot and you will boot into the awesomeness of CM 7.
The feedback from some testers has been encouraging with a couple facing some Bluetooth connectivity issues. If you want to manually install this ROM on your device, head to the post here for detailed instructions.