View in galleryThings have been somewhat boring at the Xperia Arc’s end lately. For what promised to be one of the hottest Android devices out there, the Arc’s world is pretty slowed down. However, developers at the FreeXperia Project are trying to kick that notion out of play by releasing a working CM7.1 port for the Arc. Hopefully this will pave way for more ROMs to follow, but for now, we’re talking about a CM7 ROM.
This CM7.1 ROM based on Android 2.3.4, is by no means an official CyanogenMod release, but has been put together using the CM7 resources by developers who believe in the Xperia Arc’s potential. That said the ROM is a BETA for now with quite a few things that need to be ironed out till it’s perfected. According to the developers, the latest BETA 10 version is fairly stable to use, and has added support for the LiveView.
Below you can see a list of a few of the features that the ROM currently offers:
- GSM – voice and data.
- Sensors – precompiled.
- Wi-Fi – from source.
- FM – from source (not working for now).
- Lights – from source.
- Video – from source.
- Audio – from source.
- GPS – precompiled.
- BT – precompiled.
- Gralloc – from source (still buggy).
- LiveView supported.
- Custom Recovery – almost ready.
- HDMI – from source – almost ready.
- 3D – precompiled.
- Camera – broken for now.
Some of the bugs existing right now:
- Touchscreen is not registering input over 460×800.
- Wi-Fi Access Point.
- Video playback flickering.
- Tearing in scrolldown lists.
Take a look at some of the screenshots by XDA-Developers forum member jerpelea, before we move on to the installation procedure for this ROM.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Xperia Arc. See our guide on rooting the Xperia Arc.
- CM7.1 BETA 10 (Grab the latest from the forum link at the end, since the ROM will be updated in future and you don’t want to miss out on that.)
Stock ROM(download no longer available, but may or may not be required anymore with the new version; see the forum thread link at the end for details.)
- To begin, download the ROM package from the link above and extract it.
- From the extracted package, copy update.zip to the root of your SD card.
- Put the phone in fastboot mode by powering it off, and pressing the lower right key as you plug in the USB cable till the phone LED lights up blue.
- Now run, flash_kernel.cmd till a terminal window opens and the kernel is flashed.
- When the phone reboots, press Volume down key several times within the first 5 seconds to enter recovery mode.
- In recovery, select apply update from sdcard to flash the CM7.1 ROM.
Once the ROM is flashed, reboot the phone, and you should boot up into the new ROM. Incase you’re having troubles with the ROM, cannot boot up, or the ROM’s just too hot to handle for you, you can revert back by downloading and flashing the stock ROM from the requirements section.
For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.