Finally there is some great news for Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc Android phone owners as a working build of CyanogenMod 7 has been ported to this phone. The credit for developing this CM 7 port for Xperia Arc goes to FreeXperia Project at XDA. You might call this as an unofficial and a very alpha CM port because Team @ CyanogenMod doesn’t support this officially. A lot of progress has been made in developing this ROM from scratch and so far the following features are reported as working:
GSM – voice and data
SENSORS – precompiled
WIFI – from source
FM – from source (not working for now)
LIGHTS – from source
VIDEO – from source
AUDIO – from source
GPS – precompiled
BT – precompiled
Gralloc – from source
LiveView – UGLY but SMART Accessory
RECOVERY – almost ready
In order to install this unofficial CyanogenMod 7 ROM on your Xperia Arc, you will need to have root with a working recovery.
Here is the step by step guide to install FreeXperia Project’s CyanogenMod 7 Gingerbread custom ROM on Xperia Arc:
** Must Read Before Proceeding:
Please note that these instructions are only meant for reference purpose. In case you are coming from another ROM and already have a custom Recovery on your phone, then it’s mandatory to Wipe all data before flashing this ROM. It is highly advised to read through the official XDA ROM thread posted here to avoid any glitches while flashing the ROM.
UPDATE: The kernel required to flash this ROM as per the instructions does not seem to be available now, so until any further update, this guide should NOT be used. The developer seems to have changed the pattern and the method, without updating the guide at XDA with clear instructions. There is a mention of a .7z download that is supposed to include the kernel, but the download available now is that of a zip file that is flashable from recovery but does not include a kernel, while the instructions still mention flashing the kernel first. Do NOT proceed with this method for now. If you want to get more information, contact the developers using the XDA thread link posted in the previous paragraph.
AddictiveTips will not be responsible if you brick your device by following the procedure given below. Proceed with caution!
- View in galleryThe first step is to make sure that you have root on your device,
- Now download the ROM package from here (updated to CM 7.2 RC 3 by now) and use 7zip to extract the archive on your desktop for the ease of access.
- Once done, connect your phone to the computer and copy Update.zip [from the archive you earlier unzipped] to SD Card root.
- After this disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Now put your phone in Fastboot mode by first powering off the device and then hold the lower light key while plugging the phone back in USB port on your PC.
- Once your phone is in Fastboot mode, run Flash_Kernel.cmd.
- After the kernel is flashed your phone will reboot. While it’s rebooting, press volume down key several times to enter recovery mode.
- Now choose Apply zip from SD Card and wait for the procedure to complete.
- Once the ROM has been flashed, you may flash the Google Apps package from recovery, and reboot.
And there you go! You will now boot into CM 7 if everything went file. In case you are facing any issues or are stuck at some point, then please refer to the XDA link provided in Must Read section above. All credit for this ROM goes to FreeXperia Team at XDA Portal so don’t forget to say thanks to them.