View in galleryAndroid devices like the HTC Hero keep getting revived thanks to custom ROM’s such as CyanogenMod. CyanogenMod has been supporting the HTC Hero for quite a while starting from the days of CM6 ROMs and now it has come down to the HTC Hero CDMA receiving the much awaited CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1 ROM, making the Hero tough enough to walk along with the big guns of the Android world.
If you have been a fan of CyanogenMod all along and have been following it for a while, you can see the official changelog at the CyanogenMod for a full list of changes and features. So if you want to install one of the best, or dare we say, the best AOSP ROM out there on your Hero, here’s how.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted HTC Hero. See our guide on how to root Android devices.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See what is ClockworkMod recovery and how to install it.
- CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1 (Mirror)
- Google Apps
- Begin by copying the ROM and Google Apps you downloaded from the link above, to the root of your SD card.
- Once the files is copied, reboot your device into recovery mode.
- In the recovery, make a Nandroid backup.
- Select wipe factory/data reset.
- Now, wipe cache and dalvick cache.
- Select install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM you copied to your SD card.
- Now flash the Google Apps package by repeating Step 6, but choosing Google Apps this time, not the ROM of course.
- Wait for the ROM to be flashed, and once it does, simply reboot your device.
Voila! Your HTC Hero should now boot into the the new CM7.1 ROM. For updates and queries, visit the page at Cyanogenmod forums.