A build of CyanogenMod 7 based on Android 2.3 Gingerbread has just been made available for the Samsung Vibrant. At the moment, it’s quiet a bittersweet deal as the release is for testing purposes only and meant for developers or anyone who can help with the bugs etc. Our job here is to bring you the instructions to install the latest ROMs while they’re hot but you should be warned that this release is a highly unstable one and not suitable for everyday use.
Before we get on with the installation, take a look at the known bugs below: View in gallery
- Camera crashes or hangs.
- Polling problem on RIL (works after lock and unlock).
- 2G/3G toggle (works if no data connection is active).
- Compass isn’t that accurate.
- USB sharing of external SD-Card is faulty.
- Commands such as reboot recovery, reboot download may not be possible to implement.
- TV-Out doesn’t work.
- Random reboots, especially if Wi-fi is enabled.
Update: The stable version is out now and it fixes most – if not all – of these bugs. Thw download link has been updated.
Now let’s not keep you waiting and continue with getting this ROM up and running on your Vibrant.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Samsung Vibrant. Click here to see our guide on rooting Samsung Vibrant.
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed. See our detailed guide on how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Samsung Vibrant.
ODIN Multi Flasher Tool
- At least 200mb of space available on your SD card
- If you’re running the Stock Samsung ROM and have HDSPA disabled, enable it as you wouldn’t be able to enable it after flashing CM on it.
- Download the ROM.
- Extract it, and copy the files, ‘vibrant-efsbackup.zip’ and ‘cm7-vibrant-initial-XXXXXXXX.zip’ to the root of your SD card.
- Download Google Apps. Copy the file to the root of your SD card (optional but recommended).
- Now reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Make a nandroid backup.
- Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and Dalvik cache.
Install ‘vibrant-efsbackup.zip’ from recovery using the ‘install zip from sd card’ option. Put your phone into download mode using the volume+, volume- and power button combination with the USB cable plugged in. Flash ‘cm7-vibrant-initial-kernel.tar’ as PDA through ODIN without auto-reboot. (Do NOT flash any other kernel or you’ll break your system.) Reboot your phone into recovery again.
- Choose ‘mounts & storage’ and format system, data and cache.
- From main recovery menu, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ > ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Install the ROM’s file that you had copied to the SD card earlier.
- Similarly install the Google Apps. (Optional)
- Reboot, and you’re done!
Congratulations! Your Samsung Vibrant has finally tasted the CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
The build is far from perfect obviously, so in case you come across bugs other then the ones stated, head over to the CyanogenMod forum and let the developers know. Do not ask for assistance at this point in the forums, but feel free to contribute or help.