We have confirmation that the Acer Iconia A500 Honeycomb tablet has received a successful port of the Galaxy Tab 10.1’s Honeycomb 3.1 ROM sporting Samsung’s proprietary TouchWiz UI. Till now, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was the only Honeycomb device out there sporting a custom UI, but this port has given Iconia user’s a bit of excitement if they were getting bored of the stock Honeycomb UI.
Credits go to the Virtuous Dev Team for making this all possible. The ROM, named Virtuous Galaxy is based on the Galaxy Tab 10.1’s P7500 firmware and sports the following features:
- Improved EXT4 performance.
- Virtuous CPU scaling scripts. (You can read more about this here)
- Deodexed and zipaligned.
- 216Mhz – 1200MHz default.
- Photo Editor.
- 3D Photo Browser.
- Asus weather widget.
- Busybox / Superuser.
- 3G modem support (Huawei).
- Nano text editor support.
- Bash command shell support.
One obvious glitch with the port is the fact that the rear camera only supports up to 3.2Mp right now. Well, it could’ve been worse. So if you’re a TouchWiz fan, or just bored of the stock honeycomb look, here’s how to install this ROM on your Iconia.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Acer Iconia A500. See our guide on rooting the Iconia A500.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See our guide on installing ClockworkMod recovery on the Iconia A500.
- Virtuous Galaxy ROM.
- To begin, copy the ROM you downloaded from the link above, to the root of your SD card.
- Once the file is copied, reboot your device into recovery mode. (Power off the device and hold the Power button and Volume down until text in the upper left corner appears. When it does, release the Volume down button.)
- In the recovery, make a NANDroid backup.
- Now select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and dalvick cache.
- Once done, simply flash the kernel you copied to your SD card and let it install and then simply reboot your device.