We previously covered the Gingerbread based MIUI ROM for Nexus S, that was version 1.3.18. Now we have version 1.3.25 and it has quite a few tricks up its sleeve, apart from being based on the latest Android 2.3.3. If you’ve been lurking around the internet looking for ROMs, you would know that the MIUI ROMs are the epitome of user friendliness in the Android world…at least that’s how we feel considering the blend of bold icons and rich colors. If you own a Nexus S and looking for a custom ROM, read on for more on this ROM and how to install it on your device.
The ROM is not entirely bug free according to the developer, but very stable for everyday use. That said, we can vouch for that as well after trying it out on our own Nexus S. The ROM still retains the trademark MIUI looks and interface, but there are two key elements that instantly caught our eye. One being the transition effects for menus and the second being the new notification dropdown menu. We guess pictures would explain this better then words would.
The dialogue box prompting for the deletion of the file can be seen dropping from the top of the screen instead of appearing in the center. With menus sliding up, dialog boxes sliding down and home screens fading in background and cascading to the foreground with each swipes, it’ll be hard not to fall in love with the aesthetics of this ROM! Coming to the revamped notification menu, the MIUI developers have made it just about perfect this time. The panel not only gives you access to the latest event as they happen on your phone, but has further added tabs that include Apps where you can view all running and recent apps and kill them when you want to, as well as the immensely useful Toggles tab. This tab rids you of the few options you otherwise get on android phones and gives you access to almost ALL the settings that you can toggle on your device, with one swipe!
That done, we’re sure you’ve fallen head over heels for this ROM and no, we’re not judging you for it. Let’s now get to installing this beauty on your Nexus S!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Nexus S. See how to root the Nexus S.
- ClockworkMod recovery installed. See how to install ClockworkMod Recovery.
MIUI 1.3.25 for Nexus SGet the latest version of MIUI instead. English Language Pack for MIUI(No longer needed with the latest version).
- To begin, copy the ROM and the English language pack of your choice that you downloaded from the links above, to the root of your SD card.
- Once the ROM and language pack are copied, reboot into recovery.
- Once in the recovery, make a NANDroid backup. See our guide on how to perform and restore a NANDroid backup.
- Once in the recovery, select Wipe data/factory reset. Now, wipe cache and Dalvick Cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM you copied to your SD card.
- You will be prompted with whether to install the file or not; choose Yes.
- Wait patiently for the installation to complete.
- Once the ROM is flashed, now it’s time to flash the language pack. Flash it using the same method as advised in Step 5, this time choosing the language pack instead of the ROM obviously.
- Once the language pack is flashed as well, simply reboot your phone.
Congratulations! Your Nexus S should now boot into the much beautiful MIUI ROM based on Android 2.3.3! For updates and queries regarding the ROM, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.