MIUI ROMs have been known to be, for the lack of a better word, very pretty. With a fusion of UI from all the major platforms such as Samsung’s Touch Wiz or the iPhone’s iOS, MIUI ROMs are worth at least being given a run on your Android device. For a detailed guide on what MIUI ROMs are all about, see our complete guide on what is MIUI ROM for Android? So if you own a Samsung Captivate this ROM is now available to run on your phone and what’s even better is the fact that it’s based on the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread OS. For more on this ROM and how to install it, read on!
The ROM, still in it’s beta stage, has a few things that are non functional. Here’s a general list of what’s working and what’s not as of right now:
- SMS – incoming / outgoing is functional
- Calls – incoming / outgoing are functioning.
- WiFi is working.
- Data connection is functional.
- Auto-rotation is buggy at the moment.
- Some of the apps may not work and may force close.
- Ringtones may not be detected.
Here are a few screenshots, courtesy of XDA-Developers.
Now that you know what this ROM is all about, let’s get it up and running on your phone!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Samsung Captivate. See our guide on how to root the Samsung Captivate.
- Your phone should be running a Froyo firmware before you flash this ROM.
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Install it via ROM Manager that you can download off the market.
- ODIN Installed on your PC. Download.
- Samsung USB drivers installed. Download USB drivers for 32 bit Windows | 64 bit Windows.
- Download the following files: speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar | MIUI 2.3.3 ROM | cm7-captivate-initial-kernel.tar | captivate-efsbackup.zip
- To begin, copy all the files, except speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz and cm7-captivate-initial-kernel, to the root of your phones SD card.
- Now we need to flash the speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz to the phone via ODIN. Enter download mode. (Press the volume – +, power button and home button together.)
- Once you have entered download mode, run ODIN on the PC.
- In ODIN, click on the PDA box and select, speedmod-kernel-i897-k13c-500hz.tar.
- Now hit the Flash button and wait for the file to be flashed.
- After that, reboot into recovery mode and flash the captivate-efsbackup.zip file.
- Now go back into download mode again, and flash cm7-captivate-initial-kernel.tar via ODIN using the same procedure as described above in Step 4 and 5. Make sure that the auto reboot and re-partition options are unchecked.
- After the file is flashed, reboot into recovery mode and make a NANDroid backup. Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and Dalvick cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the MIUI ROM you copied to your SD card. You will be prompted with whether to install it or not, choose YES and wait patiently as the ROM is installed.
- When the installation is complete, reboot your phone.
There you go! You phone should reboot into MIUI 2.3.3. For updates and queries regarding this ROM, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.