View in galleryGingerbread with HTC Sense 2.1 is finally here for your Desire. Folks over at XDA-Developers have managed to port the ROM that ships with the Desire S onto the older Desire. The ROM, still in a developmental stage, named RCMix HD Gingerbread, is far from perfect right now. However, we know you want to try it out, so read on for the installation instructions!
The ROM is known to bring along a few bugs with it. One of the most vital issues, the WiFi has been sorted out and now it functions. Other than that:
Clicking the camera button causes a soft reboot.
Some graphical glitches.
Video streaming is buggy.
There could be more bugs out there that you may come across. Here’s a video of the ROM in action the the HTC Desire.
Now that you know what this ROM is all about, let’s get on with the installation.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted HTC Desire. See our guide on how to root HTC Desire.
- ClockworkMod recovery Installed. See, how to install ClockworkMod recovery on HTC Desire.
- RCMix HD Gingerbread ROM. Download.
- A compatible Gingerbread kernel. Download any from here.
- USB Cable.
- To begin, download the ROM and Kernel from the link above and copy the both the files to the root of your phones SD card.
- Once you’ve copied the files, reboot your phone into recovery.
- Make a Nandroid backup. See our guide on, how to perform and restore a nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and finally, wipe Dalvick cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard and select it. Now navigate to choose zip from sdcard and select it. Now you choose the Kernel file that you copied to your SD card in Step 1 and select it.
- Once you select the kernel, you will be prompted with a Yes or No regarding the installation of the kernel you chose. Choose Yes, and the kernel will be flashed.
- Once the kernel is flashed, now it’s time to flash the ROM. Using the same procedure described in Step 5 choose the ROM this time and let it install. Wait patiently as this may take a few minutes.
- Once the installation is complete, reboot your phone and hold your breath!
There you go, your phone will now boot into Gingerbread with HTC Sense 2.1 from the Desire S. Enjoy the ROM and let us know how this ROM faired for you. For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.