View in galleryThe HTC Desire S ROM based on Gingerbread 2.3.3 with HTC Sense 2.1 has been ported to the Desire Z / T-Mobile G2. Developers are working hard and fast and this is the third port so far we have covered regarding the Desire S ROM, so if you’re a Desire Z / G2 owner, you now have a shot at trying out the latest version of Android’s Gingerbread and HTC’s Sense UI on your device thanks to XDA-Developers forum member siulmagic. For more on this ROM and how to install it on your device, read on!
Now before we move onto the installation, there are a few things you should know about this ROM before attempting to flash it.
- Hardware acceleration for 3D has a few glitches but works.
- Bluetooth is working.
- WiFi connectivity is working.
- Sound output is working.
- GSM works.
- Video plays, so do HD videos.
- Data connectivity is working.
- HTC Hub is in working order.
- GPS is functioning.
- Camera / Video Recorder is broken.
- WiFi tethering is not possible right now.
- Calls made via WiFi wont work.
Below are a few screenshots courtesy of the developer.
Now that you’ve seen what this ROM is all about, let’s take this ROM up for a spin on the Desire Z / G2.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted Desire Z / G2. See our guide on how to root the Desire Z / G2.
- Latest ClockworkMod Recovery installed. See how to Install ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Desire S ROM Port for Desire Z / G2
- To begin, copy the ROM you downloaded from the link above to the root of your devices’s SD card.
- Once the ROM has been copied, reboot your phone into recovery.
- Now that you have entered recovery mode, make a Nandroid backup. While it’s not mandatory, we advise it incase of things going haywire. See our guide on how to perform / restore a Nandroid backup.
- Now wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and Dalvick cache.
- Now navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM you copied to your SD card.
- When you select the ROM, you will be prompted with whether to install it or not; choose Yes and let the installation begin.
- Wait patiently for the installation to finish, and once it does, simply reboot your device.
Congratulations! Your phone is now running the Desire S ROM. In some cases, after rebooting when the installation finishes may cause some phones to display a white screen. Do not be alarmed, the ROM is actually booting up and may take around 6 or 7 minutes. DO NOT RESTART YOUR PHONE!
For updates and queries regarding this ROM, please visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.