The latest in our series of Android ROMs is the very first version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread released for the HTC Droid Incredible that is not based on the SDK code but rather built from the Gingerbread source code from the AOSP (Android Open Source Project). This ROM is quite stable and feature packed so if you want to give your Droid Incredible a taste of Gingerbread, read on after the break for the full feature list, download link and installation instructions.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
Before we begin, here is the video of this ROM in action.
Developed by team WeDoDroid of XDA-Developers forums, this ROM is quite stable for an early Gingerbread release, and boasts an impressive feature list. Almost everything is working fine, except for GPS and Camcorder. It does come with a couple of quirks though, but both can be easily fixed. Firstly, there is no first boot setup wizard so you will manually have to add your Google account by going to Settings >> Accounts & Sync. Another way is to launch the market and sign in. Secondly, the SD card doesn’t mount the normal way, though it is fixed by using gscript. The scripts for the fix are included in the ROM, and the user only needs to run them.
The updated Android Market v2.2.7 that fixes the rendering issue on large screens is attached as a separate download, and has been tested to work with this ROM.
This ROM is available at ROM Manager so if you have ROM Manager Premium installed, you can just search for Incredible Gingerbread there and flash it to your phone. To manually install Incredible Gingerbread to your HTC Droid Incredible:
- Make sure your device is rooted. If it isn’t, see our guide on how to root HTC Droid Incredible.
- Download Incredible Gingerbread OMGB v4 from the link given below, and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Switch your phone off and reboot it in recovery.
- To backup your existing installation, apps and data, take a nandroid backup.
- Use the main recovery menu to wipe all data and cache. Then go to the advanced menu and wipe dalvik cache.
- Get back to the main recovery menu and select ‘install zip from sd card’. Select the ROM that you copied to your SD card in step 2, and wait patiently while it is flashed to your phone.
- Once the flashing is done, reboot your phone.
This OMGB v4 release will not likely stay the latest release of this ROM for long, as it is in active development. For updates on newer releases, feature requests or bug reports, you can visit this XDA-Developers forum thread.
Download Incredible Gingerbread OMGB v4 (Not available anymore)